26 July 2006

askal again!

My keeper got peeved again.
She heard the no-no word again:

Askal.


In case you have not read the previous blahs my keeper is quite strict about the reference to the local dogs as askals (filipino lingo for "asong kalye" or strays). She’d rather refer to local dogs as pinoy hounds or mongrels to be precise (cross between hounds & terriers).


It isn’t as if the houndsinheaven would ever have the chance to stray and step on rainbow avenue. I have not stepped on the pavement of rainbow avenue since birth! The only time I left rainbow was when I was a puppy but I was carried by my keeper for a visit to DrJoseph, the vet. Not once did my paws got in contract with the streets! My callused paws have only known the rough pebble-washout floors and walls of heaven. ho-hum.


The houndsinheaven don’t take walks outside heaven. The houndsinheaven are not even trained to go on leash although we all wear our silver chain collars. We are not your usual ‘hounds’. We roam freely around heaven until two years ago when our keeper bought kennels for each of us. (This episode is known as The War which could be the topic of my next blah)


There is a federation of hounds down rainbow ave. Probably because of security problems every household seems to own a hound whose barking warns the whole rainbow hounds. The federation warn each other of just about anything: mailman, billing guy, newspaper boy, cable guy, vendors and strays. Yesh, indeed there are askals but not all askals are mongrels. My keeper spotted purebred strays who are either lost or those whose owners let loose after deciding they can not be taken cared of anymore!


I caught keeper holding back her tears when she sees askals roam the streets. She probably wanted to adopt them if she can. But she already have us, so she won't . . .




No comments: