19 July 2006

local dogs are not askals

My name is Sweepy . . .

I was such a sleepyhead when I was a puppy
but my keeper who believes in affirmation
refuses to call me sleepy, lest I do get sleepy for life!
And so instead, I was named Sweepy.

I look like a typical local dog
which is actually a mongrel
but in the country where I am staying,
I am referred to as an askal
(a filipino slang word for a stray dog) . . .

But I am not a stray
because I live in a place called Heaven
which is a cozy place down Rainbow Avenue
in the once sleepy town of San Pedro (St. Peter) . . .

Anything 'local' is considered inferior around here.
And that includes referring to the local ice cream
as "dirty ice cream" even if it is not dirty.
In Heaven, we refer to it as sorbetes
and my favorite flavors
are mango and ube with pinipig . .
Yummy!

I have a quirky keeper L
who prefers to call
all the four mongrels
living in Heaven,
her hounds
which is why we are called
HoundsInHeaven . . .
(did i hear thunder roll?)

A lot of local dogs look like me
and most were called bantay
literally meaning "to guard"
since that's what we normally do anyway.
But i do more than just bantay
together with the other
houndsinheaven
we love to play, eat and bark
at practically anything and anybody
that intrudes and innocently
passes by Heaven . . .
we are not called hounds for nothing.

However, L loves nature and animals
so we are not allowed
to hurt birds and cats!
We also enjoy a good nap
which can take the better part of the day
which is just about now!
So till next blah, arf!
welcome to my blog!







No comments: